Pacific Crest Trail

​Day 85: mile 1184.7 to Sierra City

7.9.18. 10.7 miles.

Today did not go as planned. When I woke up this morning, I felt awful. At first I thought I was just groggy from the Benadryl, but once I started getting my things together, I realized I was so thirsty, and had a headache, and a sore throat. Great. I basically chugged my 0.7 L water/ carnation breakfast mix to quench my thirst and finished getting ready. I knew Hot Mess & Butters would definitely be going faster than me, so I let them go ahead and I took my time. I should also mention that sleeping last night was sometimes difficult: my sunburn was causing my body to be terrible at self-regulating temperature, and it was a warm night anyways.

Every step felt challenging this morning. The uphills were bad, the mostly downhill with random uphills were terrible, especially when the trail was rocky. I felt dizzy at times, but just concentrated on my feet and tried to push through. The only redeeming quality of the hike was that it was mostly shaded, which is just what my sunburn needed.


I needed to take a poop break, a water filter break, and about 4 pee breaks during the descent to town. Generally not what my mornings look like at all.

I actually made really good time, it took me 4.5 hours to do the 10.7 miles, which is just a little slower than normal. Thankfully, when I got to the road to Sierra City, Mouse and Thumbellina were already there and attempting to hitch. The first car that came by when I got to the road gave us a ride to town! It was so perfect bc I really didn’t want to wait in the sun for a hitch. We got dropped off at the country store, whose porch was filled with hikers waiting for them to open. I sat down next to Hot Mess & Butters, totally exhausted, and starving, even though I ate all of my morning snacks. I drank a lot of water, and when the store opened, went inside to place my food order, get some Advil, and inquire about sunscreen (they were out).


I got a strawberry milkshake, half pound burger, and curly fries, all of which I couldn’t finish but were delicious. At this point I was trying to decide what to do. I knew for certain there was no way I was going to hike out in the heat of the day with Hot Mess & Butters to attempt a 3,000+ ft climb and 12 more miles, our original plan. I was grappling with hiking out later in the evening or staying overnight since the church has free camping. After a long, drawn-out decision making process, I decided to stay the night in town. I knew I made the right decision when later in the evening, I started getting the chills from the sunburn and it started to blister slightly. Still don’t know what to do tomorrow, as I was going to hike out first thing in the morning, but I also don’t want to push it, as there’s a solid 4-5 days of hiking to Belden. I could stop earlier in Quincy, so that’s also an option. I’ll see how I feel when I wake up tomorrow morning. All I know is that it’s 7 pm right now and I’m going to sleep! 

Emily SchrickComment