A functional day pack for quick trips.
Name: REI Co-op Flash 22
- Size: 22 Liters
- Weight: 14.5 oz
- Number of Compartments: 3
- Access: Top
- Tool Attachment Loops: 1
- Material: Nylon
- External Pouch: No
- Hydration Sleeve: Yes, Internal
- Frame: Frameless
- MSRP: $55
What I Like:
- Organization: I like the compartments on this bag a lot. The top one on the lid is perfect for my car keys and wallet along with some other "10 essentials", while the large main compartment is perfect for some extra layers and snacks for the day. I honestly didn't know about the front zippered pocket for a really long time. The zipper is pretty hidden in the front panel. But it can be good for stashing other smaller items, like a headlamp, or a beanie/ gloves.
- Size: This pack is the perfect size for a short day hike. Plenty of room for anything you'd need on a hike, and the hydration sleeve fits a 3 L hydration bladder without taking up so much room in the main compartment.
What I Don't Like:
- Fit: I found that this pack does not sit well on your back when it is not fully loaded. It gapes out so that the bottom hits your lower back but curves out until the shoulders. I tried multiple times to fix the problem by adjusting the shoulder straps to get the backpack to hang differently, but nothing worked for me, except loading it up full, and using a full hydration bladder in the hydration sleeve helped as well.
- Side pockets: Without any compression, water bottles just don't stay in these pockets. If you bend over, they will fall out. If you put your pack down, and its not fully loaded, the pack will sag and the bottles will fall out.
This pack is OK. It will definitely do the job for a day hike, but it just really didn't work for me due to the fit when not fully loaded and the side pockets. Could just be my experience with it, though.